Monday, January 11, 2016

Duney


Duney, written by K. Wendt, is an adaptation of the Biblical story of David and Goliath. In this version, Duney has to stay on the beach and watch over the sand dollars while his brothers go to Sand Village off to fight the Hermits. The Hermits want to take over the village.

During a break from his duties, Duney takes food to his brothers. While he’s there, Captain Hermy, the leader of the Hermits, issues a challenge: “If I fight one of you and win I get everything; if I lose, then I’ll go away and leave you alone.”

Duney decides to fight the Hermit. He defeats him with a stone shot from his sling shot. When their leader dies, the rest of the Hermits leave and the village is saved.

What I Like: It’s always interesting to read adaptations of well-known stories. This one was certainly different from any other version of David and Goliath I have ever read.

What I Dislike: I don’t like the illustrations. They are very cartoonish and they don’t add to the value of the story (in my opinion). In fact, I’m not sure what Duney and his brothers are even supposed to be. It’s pretty easy to tell the Hermits are crabs, but Duney and his brothers look like smiley faces without bodies. They look very strange.

Overall Rating: Good.

Age Appeal: No age group is given, but I’d say 4-8 would be the an appropriate age group.

Publisher Info: Westbow Press, 2014; ISBN: 9781490839349; Paperback, $15.95.

 


No comments: